Directed by: Simon Curtis
Written by: Alexi Kaye Campbell
Produced by: David M. Thompson, Kris Thykier
Other cast: Ryan Reynolds, Daniel Brühl, Katie Holmes, Tatiana Maslany, Max Irons, Charles Dance, Elizabeth McGovern, Jonathan Pryce
Release date: April 1, 2015
Genre: Biography, Drama, History
Running time: 1h 49min
Sixty years after fleeing Vienna, Maria Altmann, an elderly Jewish woman, attempts to reclaim family possessions that were seized by the Nazis. Among them is a famous portrait of Maria's beloved Aunt Adele: Gustave Klimt's "Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer I." With the help of young lawyer Randy Schoeberg, Maria embarks upon a lengthy legal battle to recover this painting and several others, but it will not be easy, for Austria considers them national treasures.
→ The fight for justice never ends
→ Justice is priceless
→ While Randol and Maria drive down Sunset Boulevard, a billboard for the 2014 film “Guardians of the Galaxy” appears visibly in the distance down the street while the time period of the scene is supposed to take place in 1999.
• They’ll never admit to what they did, because if they admit to one thing, they’ll have to admit to it all.
• I have to do what I can to keep these memories alive, because people forget-especially the young.
• My sister, Louise-I truly loved her, but truth is, we were always competitive. If life is a race, you beat me to the finish. But if life is a boxing match, I’m the last one standing.
• I have decided to allow the paintings to remain on display… if you agree to admit they were obtained illegally.
• They’re hoping to drag it out until I die? Well, I will do them the favor of hanging around.
• Restitution-the return of something to its original state… At the very least, we should be reunited with what is rightfully ours.
• When people see the famous portrait, they see a masterpiece by one of Austria’s finest artist. But, I see a picture of my Aunt. A woman who talked to me about life, while I brushed her hair in her bedroom.
• From the first moment I saw you I knew you were the right man for the job. That’s why I ignored all the terrible bits.